33-1012.00 - First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives
Directly supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Explain police operations to subordinates to assist them in performing their job duties.
- Inform personnel of changes in regulations and policies, implications of new or amended laws, and new techniques of police work.
- Supervise and coordinate the investigation of criminal cases, offering guidance and expertise to investigators, and ensuring that procedures are conducted in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Investigate and resolve personnel problems within organization and charges of misconduct against staff.
- Train staff in proper police work procedures.
- Maintain logs, prepare reports, and direct the preparation, handling, and maintenance of departmental records.
- Monitor and evaluate the job performance of subordinates, and authorize promotions and transfers.
- Direct collection, preparation, and handling of evidence and personal property of prisoners.
- Develop, implement, and revise departmental policies and procedures.
- Conduct raids and order detention of witnesses and suspects for questioning.
- Prepare work schedules and assign duties to subordinates.
- Discipline staff for violation of department rules and regulations.
- Cooperate with court personnel and officials from other law enforcement agencies and testify in court, as necessary.
- Review contents of written orders to ensure adherence to legal requirements.
- Inspect facilities, supplies, vehicles, and equipment to ensure conformance to standards.
- Prepare news releases and respond to police correspondence.
- Requisition and issue equipment and supplies.
- Meet with civic, educational, and community groups to develop community programs and events, and to discuss law enforcement subjects.
- Direct release or transfer of prisoners.
- Prepare budgets and manage expenditures of department funds.
Clicking on the Degree programs in the list below will take you away from the Careers page.
The curriculum is designed to provide a broad foundation that will prepare students to enter any of the varied fields in criminal justice or to prepare for professional advancement. Job opportunities for students include local, state, and federal enforcement officers, police officers, private or government investigators, adult/juvenile correction officers, probation/parole officers and counselors, security directors (managers), loss prevention directors, classification managers, and personnel clearance administrators. Most of the ADJ courses in this curriculum are 'core courses' that provide a basic entry-level foundation in both criminal justice and security administration. These courses must be taken by ALL STUDENTS in this program. At several points in the curriculum, 'course options' are provided for selection by the students.
Special Curriculum Admission Requirements: Students are advised that many criminal justice and private/government security agencies require excellent moral character and a written record of conduct prior to consideration for employment.
This program prepares students for entry-level opportunities as a local, state, or federal law enforcement officer; commercial and industrial security officer; police officer; or private or government investigator, particularly in the areas of homeland security.
This program is designed to prepare students to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a baccalaureate degree program in criminal justice, criminology, or related fields.
Clicking on a Job in the list below will take you away from the Careers page.
|Police Sergeant||Harvard University||Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:51:53 GMT | 5 days ago||Cambridge, MA||Sergeants are first-line supervisors with primary responsibility for ensuring compliance with the professional and ethical standards of the Department by all…|
|Police Officer (Current Academy Attendees and Graduates)||City of Petaluma||Tue, 10 Mar 2020 23:47:46 GMT | 2 years ago||Petaluma, CA||It is further distinguished from the Police Sergeant class in that the latter is a first-line supervisor responsible for assigned officers and other support…|
|Police Sergeant||Oregon State University||Thu, 01 Sep 2022 20:23:39 GMT | 22 days ago||Corvallis, OR 97331||Five-years of experience as a certified police officer and a minimum of one year of experience as a first level or higher police supervisory position AND.|
|Police Officer - Academy Graduate||City of Manhattan Beach, CA||Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:02:34 GMT | 30+ days ago||Manhattan Beach, CA||The Police Officer is distinguished from the Police Sergeant, who serves as the first line supervisor, and has responsibility for the development, coordination,…|
|Police Officer - Lateral Transfer||City of Roseville, MN||Tue, 08 Feb 2022 18:40:42 GMT | 7 months ago||Roseville, MN 55113||This position functions as the City’s first line of contact with the public regarding Police calls for service. This position is classified as entry-level.|
|Sergeant||California State University||Thu, 23 Jun 2022 23:40:34 GMT | 30+ days ago||San Francisco, CA||General knowledge of crime prevention, first aid and CPR. Immediately report to supervisor the loss or expiration of same. Valid California driver’s license.|
|Police Officer Academy Graduate||City Of Placentia||Wed, 07 Oct 2020 05:34:12 GMT | 23 months ago||Placentia, CA||The Police Officer is distinguished from the Police Sergeant, which serves as a first-line supervisor, and has responsibility for the development, coordination,…|
|Sergeant (Sergeant) - University Police Department||San Francisco State University||Thu, 23 Jun 2022 21:19:17 GMT | 30+ days ago||San Francisco, CA 94132||General knowledge of crime prevention, first aid and CPR. Immediately report to supervisor the loss or expiration of same. Valid California driver’s license.|
|Police Officer Lateral||City Of Placentia||Wed, 07 Oct 2020 05:34:08 GMT | 23 months ago||Placentia, CA||The Police Officer is distinguished from the Police Sergeant, which serves as a first-line supervisor, and has responsibility for the development, coordination,…|
|Police Officer - Academy Graduate||City of Manhattan Beach||Thu, 30 Jun 2022 23:39:09 GMT | 30+ days ago||Manhattan Beach, CA 90266||Distinguishing Characteristics: The Police Officer is distinguished from the Police Sergeant, who serves as the first line supervisor, and has responsibility…|
|POLICE SERGEANT- INVESTIGATIONS||City of Brookfield||Fri, 02 Sep 2022 17:37:09 GMT | 22 days ago||Brookfield, WI 53005||PURPOSE: The Police Sergeant-Investigations maintains an assigned caseload in conjunction with being the first-line supervisor of the investigations division.|
|Police Officer - Lateral||City of Buena Park||Tue, 15 Mar 2022 23:38:26 GMT | 6 months ago||Boulevard, CA||Successful completion of the police academy. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS The Police Officer is distinguished from the Police Sergeant, which serves as a…|
|Police Sergeant||City of Arvin||Thu, 27 May 2021 06:01:21 GMT | 16 months ago||Arvin, CA 93203||This classification is distinguished from the police officer classification in that the former is a first line supervisor with on-going supervisory…|
|Police Officer Lateral||City of San Marino||Tue, 15 Sep 2020 05:25:40 GMT | 2 years ago||San Marino, CA 91108||Standard broadcasting procedures of a police radio system. Learn standard broadcasting procedures of a police radio system.|